Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Grain Resource aka "Wheat"

So I guess the first thing I should point out is that I don't call any of the Settler resources by their proper name. Except brick.  I call brick, "brick".
Here's a quick summary so you don't get confused, because I'll just be using my own terms for stuff.

Settlers - Kathe
Grain - Wheat
Lumber - Wood
Wool - Sheep, sometimes Pigs (I know this doens't make any sense)
Ore - Rocks or Mountains
Brick - Brick

I guess this means I'm not a Settler of Catan purist, but I'll live...

Sculpey Foamwich in Yellow for Wheat
Ok - so back to my 3D game board!

The first resource I made a foamwich of was wheat, because I randomly glued together the yellow sheets first, so they in turn dried first. So obviously this happened in stages.
Hex Steps
 First I made a hexagon template with a hole in the middle for the discs. I traced a piece from Trivial Pursuit, because it already had all the lines to match up on my hexagon! Then I used the template to trace onto the 2-deep foam hexagon, cut it out and glued it to my bigger sculpey/foam hex. The reason for the hole in the middle is for the number discs in the game.  Many 3D sets are lacking somewhere to put these discs, so I wanted to make sure mine had a dedicated spot.

Mini plastic hay from the Model Train store
Next up, I need something that looks like wheat to decorate (I need a word better than decorate) my hex. Well a trip to my local miniature model train store provided the perfect solution. Who knew that you could get just about anything miniaturized? Since I'm supposed to be "Settling" Catan, I won't be using the hay that is wrapped in plastic, which I tend to refer to as "Giant Marshmallows" when driving through the countryside.

Natural and Podgied wheat grass


Not satisfied with my plastic mini bales of hay, I also wanted something more natural looking. While walking my dog I found some type of tall wheat like grass. I picked one that had "accidentally" been torn from the others, because I would never condone picking public grass or flowers. Yes, this is entirely accurate, and not a lie.

I'm also using moss.  "Moss?" you ask.  Yes, Moss. I bought a mixed bag, literally, of moss, and will be using them in a variety of hexes.

The problem with live or once live items are their tendancy to fall apart over time.  I'm hoping to overcome this by dunking it in a mixture of white glue and water.  Some of you may know this concoction as "podgy" or "that stuff you dipped newspapers in when making paper mache".  Both terms are correct.

It's by no means a permanent solution, but I'm hoping it will seal it somewhat, and make it not fall apart so easily. So far it has just shrunk the puffy grass into looking like braided grass, but the intent is for it to now look like a plowed wheat field.

So voila! My first completed hex, just 36 more to go...

Completed Wheat Hex












1 comment:

  1. Hey this looks great so far! I know it's a LONG and arduous endeavor to make your own settlers. I made this

    http://morganallison.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/settlersoftherockies/

    for my boyfriend for Christmas and it took me about a month to finish. But yours looks really good so far. Keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete